The final part of our special StartMeUp Hong Kong series, we have here with us Tim Draper a world renowned venture capitalist! He’s visiting Hong Kong as the Venture Forum’s keynote speaker, and shares some valuable insights about trends in industries happening around the world, and opportunities for Hong Kong, Asia based companies specifically.
About Timothy C Draper
Founder and a Managing Director, Draper Fisher Jurvetson (DFJ)
Tim Draper’s original suggestion to use “viral marketing” in web-based email to geometrically spread an internet product to its market was instrumental to the successes of Hotmail and YahooMail, and has been adopted as a standard marketing technique by hundreds of businesses. On behalf of DFJ, Tim currently serves on the boards of DoAt, Glam, Prosper, Miartech. DFJ’s previous successes include: Skype (EBAY), Overture.com (YHOO), Baidu (BIDU), Parametric Technology (PMTC), Hotmail (MSFT), PLX Technologies (PLXT), Preview Travel (TVLY), Digidesign (AVID),and many others. He recently founded the Draper University of Heroes, an immersive boarding school in San Mateo, California for students 18-24 years old, dedicated to encouraging proactive entrepreneurship. Tim is the course creator and Chairman of BizWorld, a 501c3 organization built around simulated teaching of entrepreneurship and business to children. He also serves on the Harvard Business School Board of Dean’s Advisors and has a BS in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
Topics Covered in this Episode
- Introduction of Tim Draper.
- Disruption in monopolies.
- Top monopolies now and those relevant in Hong Kong.
- Disruption in government and currencies (reference to Bitcoin competing with bad currencies).
- Perspective of micro-multinational online businesses.
- From your great streak of investments, what you see in people. Optimists are the ones who get things done. Enthusiasm carries the day for entrepreneurship.
- Draper University introduction.
- Tips for entrepreneurs, take 1 step at a time.
People / Companies / Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- Tim Draper’s Draper University of Heroes: DraperUniversity.com
Address: E 3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA 94401, United States
In-person, and online courses.
- Tim’s Venture Capital firm – Draper Fisher Jurvetson
- Tweet out to Tim Draper – @timdraper
- Hong Kong’s Startmeup.hk Venture Forum
- Mike and Wendy’s “China business workshop” in San Francisco on Saturday Jan 18, 2014 on marketing your mobile app – book via eventbrite