Welcome everyone to episode 72 of Global From Asia, Chinese New Year is now underway, it is getting pretty quiet in Shenzhen as most people travel either to their Chinese hometown if they’re Chinese or Southeast Asia such as Thailand if they’re foreigners. I wonder what our listeners down in Southeast Asia notice – probably getting flooded with tourists during this two to three week holiday right?
Been talking to more listeners, and Howie McCollister in Canada – bought the book Hong Kong Supercharged (thanks for the support!) and we were chatting in email – get this – his 15 year old daughter going to be working on a e-commerce business for the summer and he’s preparing a trip to Canton Fair for April – that is truly amazing, what a great dad!
Also, I was checking Stitcher radio and we have a 5 star review! first one, randomly noticed it as I’m only monitoring iTunes – but let’s read it off
★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars.
Mark V ·
2 months ago (December 2014)
Michelini is your trusted guide
Michael and his guests are veterans, fighting the good fight. Thanks for all the insights!
And we have on one iTunes from David Hehenberger from Fat Cat Apps:
David at Fatcat Apps
Full of actionable advice. A must listen for anyone doing business in Hong Kong or China.
Love the reviews and feedback everyone, it is the energy drink that motivates me to keep pushing these shows out!
Ok, and now into today’s show – one of my more popular episodes, #26 where I talk about Stripe merchant accounts not being in Hong Kong, is always getting comments and emails. Today’s guest, Daniel from Opencart engaged with me on it and loves the show and also sees these struggles for Asia entrepreneurs. He’s the founder and developer of OpenCart an open source shipping cart, and I didn’t realize they were based in HonG Kong – pretty sweet.
So last week I headed to his office in Tuen Mun Central Square, Tuen Mun and we discuss some other ideas for merchant accounts in Hong Kong – as well as understand a bit more about his business.
Before I get into the show I also want to make a special offer to listeners – I’m really trying to solve this merchant account decision making issue in Hong Kong – so I’m have a special form for those who want me help on a merchant account solution for them to fill it out – and I’ll give them a report with my recommendations on which merchant account options they should look at – I have had some newer merchant account solutions email these days and before I put them on the show I am vetting them. and if you want we can setup a call too and talk merchant accounts. I’ll link it up on the show notes at globalfromasia.com/episode72
Anyway, let’s get into the interview with Daniel! Also please note I had a bit of echo because I did it in his office… but we edited it as best as possible –
Topics Covered in this Episode
- Topic – Merchant account struggles in Hong Kong
- Intro Daniel Kerr
- How did you end up in Hong Kong
- Open Cart – you’re mainly focused on international / western market, right – can you share a bit
- So your software is open source – I’m curious – how does open source monetize?
- And you want to integrate with all these payment solutions, right?
- Are most of your clients in Hong Kong?
- So now for the main content – what are your experiences with merchant accounts
- You mentioned your ..not so good experience with Global Payments
- API issues
- And you say Skrill is the best choice?
- So Skrill, is this similar to Paypal, I keep funds in the account and then can send those funds to others, or withdraw it?
- What do you recommend your merchants to do?
- I wonder why it’s so hard in Hong Kong to get a merchant account, any ideas?
- Ways people can reach out to you and your business
People / Companies / Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- David from Fat Cat Apps
- The Podcast’s book – Hong Kong Supercharged (thanks Howie for being a customer and supporter)
- Daniel’s company – OpenCart – open source shopping cart
- Merchant account comparison
- Popular podcast Stripe not in Hong Kong podcast
- Realex Payments
- HSBC Hong Kong
- Global Payments Inc.
- OpenBay Pro – OpenCart partner in UK – multi channel
- Mike Bellamy’s show last week – episode 71
- Contacting Daniel Kerr – webmaster @ opencart.com
Episode Length 20:25
thanks Daniel for sharing with us – I’m making a list of these solutions and appreciate you sharing your valuable experience as an e-commerce shopping cart business owner and developer. And I’m so happy to make more connections of Hong Kong business owners w/ e-commerce and tech backgrounds. Let’s keep on networking and helping each other out.
I also heard from Neale O’connor after the last episode and he said:
MIKE great interview with Bellamy, Catch you when you across next
Also – don’t forget my special offer to help you out with your merchant account issues – the link to the form for me to give you your free custom report on a merchant account solution will be on the show notes:
til next week, happy Chinese new year – while there may not be a santa claus in China, I hope you all get the best red envelope from your fellow Chinese business friends. peace
- Direct Download: Right-click here and click “Save As” for a direct download
- iTunes: Listen and subscribe on iTunes for free!
- Android: Listen via Stitcher Internet Radio streaming
- If you enjoyed this episode, leave a positive review on iTunes!